Our History

Brief History Timeline

  • 1903   An empty parcel of land owned by George Adams.
  • 1906   Land sold to Finnish Evangelical Church.
  • 1909   Church completed at a total cost of $15,000.
  • 1938   Renovation work to include side arches to the alter completed.
  • 1957   Finnish Evangelical Church changes to Faith Lutheran Church.
  • 1977   Church was disbanded due to financial hardship, aging parishioners and deteriorating neighborhood.
  • 1979   Church was sold to North American Islamic Trust for $27,000. Masjid Al-Arkham (Mosque) was inaugurated. ISGW was established as a sub-chapter of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA). Halal meat was made available. First in central Massachusetts.
  • 1980   Pews were removed. Second floor became the main prayer hall.
  • Direction of Qibla was disputed, and prayers were being offered in two directions for a short time. Finally, the original direction based on ISNA publication was agreed to and made permanent.
  • 1982   Work began on drafting the first Constitution and its Bylaws.
  • 1983   First Sunday school was started. Adjacent land was purchased from the City of Worcester for $1300 (7,920 sq. ft. for parking). Entered into Worcester Heritage Preservation Society as a building of historical significance.
  • 1984  Additional Land was purchased from Dominic and Lucy Zarette for $6000 (11,538 sq. ft.for additional parking).
  • 1987  Renovation work was completed to add ladies section, classrooms and major plumbing and heating work.
  • 1991  Movement started to educate area Muslims to get involved in main stream politics. First in New England.
  • 1992  First Constitution and its Bylaws were approved and ratified.
  • 1993  Resolution was passed to establish the first full time Islamic school (Alhamra Academy).
  • 1997  Dr. Salah Sultan was appointed as the first Imam.
  • 2003  Decision was made to build a new Islamic center due to lack of space and an ever growing congregation projections.
  • 2004  Islamic Society of Greater Worcester (ISGW) was registered with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as an independent organization.
  • 2006  The congregation moved to the new Islamic center called the Worcester Islamic Center (WIC). Mosque was closed.
  • 2007 Mosque opened again to the congregation.
  • 2008 Major renovation work was completed (exterior and interior) to add more space for the ladies, new roof, new bathrooms, and installation of a crescent on the steeple.